Our patients and our communities look to us to heal. Patients also look to us to keep them safe. While safety has always been at the forefront of our care, we know we can do better.
SafetyFirst is Catholic Health Initiatives’ systemwide work to offer the safest care for patients, as well as a safe working environment for our medical staff and employees at every care location across the country. SafetyFirst will:
- Improve patient safety.
- Improve employee safety.
- Increase error reporting and highlight near misses to help prevent future occurrences.
- Help us achieve our goal of zero events of preventable harm by 2020.
CHI has made significant progress already:
- Thousands of employees and physicians have attended error-prevention training.
- Doctors, nurses and other support staff have adopted proven safety behaviors – behaviors based on high-reliability science used by industries such as commercial aviation, nuclear power and naval-maritime.
- Specially trained safety coaches are working side by side with staff, helping our caregivers, patients and their families ensure safe care.
- New measurement tools provide constant feedback so our staff can learn and make improvements.